Dearest Darling Friends,
Has water entered your ship?
The ship needs water to move. Compared to the mass of water it can travel and conquer, the size of the ship is very tiny.
Yet, all the water in the biggest of the oceans cannot drown the ship, unless water enters that ship. The ship is made to master the water, use it to travel and reach its destination and not to drown in it. As long as water does not enter the ship, the ship is safe. When water enters the ship, it becomes dangerous for the ship.
As long as I see money as a means to live comfortably, money is a wonderful instrument. Today, we do need money to live well. The ship needs water to travel. However, if this money becomes my identity? If the surplus of money leads to arrogance and comparative less money leads to low esteem? Then, water has entered the ship. It is dangerous.
The money that brings respect is never respect to the person who HAS the money. It is always respect to the money. If a sculptor’s donkey is carrying an idol of Lord Ganesha, people will bow in front of the donkey. Actually they are bowing to Lord Ganesha. In no ways I am equating money to Lord Ganesha. I am certainly equating our behavior to the behavior of the donkey who starts to believe people are bowing to him! Water (Ego) has entered the ship (donkey). It has become dangerous for the donkey.
The politician Hajja Bhaiya was driving in the constituency after the announcement of him becoming the ‘Prisons Minister’. He was notorious. He was one of those who had no love, only contempt for the voters. He used to use people. He had no qualms about it. As he loved power, he loved to dominate people. Suddenly a dog came in front of their vehicle. Thud, a sound was heard as the driver pressed the brakes hard. Hajja Bhaiya’s head collided heavily with the head rest of the front seat and he screamed loudly. People on the road, knowing the cruel nature of Hajja Bhaiya, were scared of the consequences and ran away here and there. The driver profusely begged forgiveness from Hajja Bhaiya. However, Hajja Bhaiya’s mood was good today. Even when he had multiple criminal cases against him, he had been appointed as the ‘Prisons Minister’. Still rubbing his forehead, reading for the tenth time the newspaper report on his appointment, he smiled wide and forgave the driver.
The driver got down to check the damage to the car. He informed Hajja Bhaiya that in the accident, the dog had died.
Being in the good mood brought because of his appointment, Hajja Bhaiya told the driver, “Inform the owner of the dog that we are sorry. If they want, we can give a compensation too!” This was totally unexpected. Hajja Bhaiya saying sorry!!! This man had exploited people even when HE was at fault. Today he wanted to say sorry even when he was NOT at fault! And compensate too!!!
The driver was just a little scared that the owner of the dog will beat him up. However, the driver was used to obeying orders. He went inside the tenements to identify the owner of the dog.
It was about 15 minutes and the driver had not returned yet. Now, Hajja Bhaiya was getting impatient. There is a limit to my goodness, he was beginning to think. ‘I will thrash him’, he was beginning to think. And there he saw his driver, fully loaded with garlands, lifted on the shoulders of people, coming towards the car. There was a group of people dancing and celebrating behind him. The driver was looking ill at ease.
He got inside the car and started saying sorry to Hajja Bhiaya. “What happened?” Hajja Bhaiya asked.
With fear the driver answered, “I am sorry sir but I was not even allowed to complete what you had instructed. I am sorry sir. With just one sentence they became so happy, garlanded me, danced with me, lifted me on their shoulders.
They created so much noise. I am sorry sir. I attempted to explain but they were not listening at all. I am sorry sir. They just did not allow me to complete. I am truly sorry sir.”
With irritation, busy in chewing his betel leaf, his eyes still in the newspaper, Hajja Bhaiya asked him, “What did you say that made them so happy?”
The driver replied, “I said, I am Hajja Bhaiya’s driver. The dog just died……………..”
Did you understand? Water had certainly entered the ship. It was a question of time before the ship will drown.
I received this mail from my student Sushant:
In 1923, eight of the wealthiest people in the world met.
Their combined wealth, it is estimated, exceeded the wealth of the government of the United States.
These men certainly knew how to earn and accumulate wealth.
But let’s examine what happened to them 25 years later.
1. President of the largest steel company, Charles Schwab, lived on borrowed capital for Five years before he died bankrupt.
2. President of the largest gas company, Howard Hubson, went insane.
3. One of the most famous commodity traders, Arthur Cutton, died insolvent.
4. President of the New York Stock Exchange, Richard Whitney, was sent to jail.
5. A member of the President’s Cabinet, Albert Fall, was pardoned from jail to go home and die in peace.
6. The biggest “bear” on Wall Street, Jessie Livermore committed suicide.
7. President of the world’s greatest monopoly, Ivar Krueger, committed suicide.
8. President of the Bank of International Settlement, Leon Fraser, Committed Suicide.
Why do you think all this happened? They did master how to make a living. They failed to master how to live.
Money, power, success, does a lot of great things. However, there is no point in the ship drowning in water. For the ship to serve its purpose, It MUST float ABOVE water.Let our money, power, success help us to do GREATER things.
Let us never drown in them. It will become dangerous for us.
Before I forget, let me ask, when people carry the news of your death, will carrier of the news be garlanded and celebrated? It will be worse if your driver passes the news that the dog died and people celebrate. Isn’t it?
Chances are very high that none of my readers belong to this club of the donkey or Hajja Bhaiyya. Please ensure, no water enters into your ship.
With loads of love, prayers and best wishes,
As I Live…I Learn
- Author Articles
- More From This AuthorDearest Darling Friends, Last month my darling wife Bharathi purchased three different toothpaste variants. The regular simple Colgate for me that I have been using since the time we had teeth (experience,...Dearest Darling Friends, Mr. Rastogikar was a bulky man, with a round face, a little rough look, a few darker spots gifted by chicken pox, french cut beard and a receding hairline. He looked like someone...Dearest Darling Friends, One of the classy things about the 8 member Mr. Moiz’s family was that every morning one member of the family would say ‘Breakfast Prayers’. On the breakfast table each...Stories have power. They delight, enchant, touch, teach, recall, inspire, motivate, challenge. They help us understand. They imprint a picture on our minds. Want to make a point or raise an issue? Tell a...Dearest Darling Friends, Did you realise, through learning you can become anything….ANYTHING!!! Did this ever occur to you? It did to me and changed my life… In the boxing ring the boxer has a...
- Related Articles
- Related ArticlesMicrosoft is one of the most reputed names in the IT world. Microsoft certification training is a course that provides special skills to the professionals in order to enable them to survive in this tough...Intimacy can be zippy and spontaneous, requiring nothing more than two willing partners with a little bit of time to spare. However, preparing for the fun by loading up on the right equipment can, at times, be...When it comes to love and relationships, it is no secret that men and women communicate very differently. Sadly, these differences can lead to miscommunication and fighting, not to mention decreased male...Credit cards are becoming an every time need nowadays for people as this is the easiest way of getting liquid cash and at the same time the cash flow is much sound that any other form of transaction. It...Well, as the name suggests an animated explainer video is simply a video that explains your product or service by the use of animation and graphics. As per reports in the modern internet market, it can be...
- Latest Articles
- Latest ArticlesMicrosoft is one of the most reputed names in the IT world. Microsoft certification training is a course that provides special skills to the professionals in order to enable them to survive in this tough...Nowadays, even the most qualified IT professionals are not able to get good jobs due to the tough competition in this sector. Attaining a good job has also become difficult because of the rapidly changing...Microsoft is one of the most reputed names in the IT world. Microsoft certification training is a course that provides special skills to the professionals in order to enable them to survive in this tough...Nowadays, even the most qualified IT professionals are not able to get good jobs due to the tough competition in this sector. Attaining a good job has also become difficult because of the rapidly changing...