Euro mines welcomes the issuing of the new EU’s Communication on “Tackling the challenges in commodity markets and on raw materials”. In particular the sector welcomes the acknowledgement of the importance of raw materials for the growth of the European economy. “At the heart of current developments lies a series of changes in global supply and demand patters as well as short term shocks in key commodity and raw material markets. The years 2002 to 2008 were marked by a major surge in demand for raw materials, driven by strong economic growth, particularly in emerging countries such as China. This increase in demand will be reinforced by the further rapid industrialization and urbanization in countries such as China, India and Brazil. China is already the largest consumer of metals in the world – its share of copper consumption, for example, has risen from 12% to about 40% over the last 10 years. Prices movements have been exacerbated by various structural problems in the supply and distribution chains of different commodities.”
The extractive sector has been very supportive of the work conducted so far and welcomes the proposals made by the Commission in its Communication with regard to assessing future market demands in Europe and worldwide; improving the access from European resources through the proposed actions jointly with the Member States to increase the availability and supply of raw materials to Europe to secure the viability and growth of the European economy; assessing the criticality of raw materials and the need to review the list of these raw materials every 5 years; fostering research and innovation through creation of a European Innovation Partnership and supporting the research in the area of raw material exploration, processing and recovery and recycling.
The Europe 2020 Strategy underlines the need to promote technologies that increase investment in the EU’s natural assets. Extractive industries fall under this category, but its development is hindered by a heavy regulatory framework and competition with other land uses.
The Commission considers that the following practices are particularly important in promoting investments in extractive industries:
(1) defining a National Minerals Policy, to ensure that mineral resources are exploited in an economically viable way, harmonised with other national policies, based on sustainable development principles and including a commitment to provide an appropriate legal and information framework;
(2) setting up a land use planning policy for minerals that comprises a digital geological knowledge base, a transparent methodology for identifying mineral resources, long term estimates for regional and local demand and identifying and safeguarding mineral resources (taking into account other land uses); With its high quality products such as hammer crusher and ball mill, Hongxing Machinery has ascended in the front rank of the world in the exporting of mining equipment.
(3) putting in place a process to authorise minerals exploitation and extraction which is clear, understandable, provides certainty and helps to streamline the administrative process (e.g. the introduction of lead times, permit applications in parallel, and one-stop-shop).
While significant progress has been made in implementing the RMI, further improvements are necessary. An integrated approach based on the three pillars is essential, as each contributes to the objective of ensuring a fair and sustainable supply of raw materials to the EU. The European extractive sector will continue to support the Commission’s initiative and is welcoming the Member States’ active involvement in tackling the challenges outlined.
- Author Articles
- More From This AuthorIn recent years, the high-speed rail, highway, housing and other infrastructure are developing rapidly in China, and the sand and stone industry also entered an unprecedented age. The number of the companies...The term 'primary crusher', by definition, might include any type and size of crushing machine. It implies that at least two stages of crushing are involved, but in many cases the machine which performs the...The stone directly falls into the high-speed rotary wheel from the above of the machine, under the driving force of the high-speed centrifugal force; it is impacted with high-speed and crushed with...In the current society with economy rapidly developing, we should always keep a clear head in the meantime of development. In recent years, along with the rapid development of the economy in our country, the...Ball grinder is mainly composed of charging and discharging, cyclone and rotation parts (like redactor, minor rotation gear, motor, electric machine, etc). Hollow axis is made of steel parts with a lining...
- Related Articles
- Related ArticlesThey arrive on time every day. Work diligently and professionally, they have done this for many years having achieved so much for you. But how do your show them your appreciation? What better way than an...Despite the presence of the clutter that exists in the auto market today, the love for latest cars continues to grow fonder day by day. Ranging from various sizes to shapes, features to price, India still...As per the HiTech law, health and personal information of patient is considered to be Protected Health Information and need to be kept confidential. However, in free email service such as Gmail and Yahoo,...It’s that time of year again! All those corporate clients and valued customers have to be rewarded for their continued support. And why not! Without them you don’t have a company. It is corporate gifts and...Wish for a better future, more stable life? Ever wondered how your life would be if you could immigrate to UK from India or expanded your businesses with a business visa to Canada? Well, you can actually turn...
- Latest Articles
- Latest ArticlesWhen planning an office space, the lighting tends to get overlooked, which is odd since you do need lighting in an office to not only help you see but to also set the tone and mood. Office lighting is much...Calling them the 'creme-class of banking sector' wouldn't be exaggeration of any sort; investment banking jobs undoubtedly produce some of the best career choices. Careers in this field lure candidates with...Irrespective of the size of the business, it is highly important to have a website to showcase the type of business. This will help to increase the customer flow as most of the people today prefer to have the...We all live in the world with the greater facilities of the internet, which gives us the wonderful opportunity to communicate and get the information about anything in the world. Millions of people all around...They arrive on time every day. Work diligently and professionally, they have done this for many years having achieved so much for you. But how do your show them your appreciation? What better way than an...