Euro mines welcomes the issuing of the new EU’s Communication on “Tackling the challenges in commodity markets and on raw materials”. In particular the sector welcomes the acknowledgement of the importance of raw materials for the growth of the European economy. “At the heart of current developments lies a series of changes in global supply and demand patters as well as short term shocks in key commodity and raw material markets. The years 2002 to 2008 were marked by a major surge in demand for raw materials, driven by strong economic growth, particularly in emerging countries such as China. This increase in demand will be reinforced by the further rapid industrialization and urbanization in countries such as China, India and Brazil. China is already the largest consumer of metals in the world – its share of copper consumption, for example, has risen from 12% to about 40% over the last 10 years. Prices movements have been exacerbated by various structural problems in the supply and distribution chains of different commodities.”
The extractive sector has been very supportive of the work conducted so far and welcomes the proposals made by the Commission in its Communication with regard to assessing future market demands in Europe and worldwide; improving the access from European resources through the proposed actions jointly with the Member States to increase the availability and supply of raw materials to Europe to secure the viability and growth of the European economy; assessing the criticality of raw materials and the need to review the list of these raw materials every 5 years; fostering research and innovation through creation of a European Innovation Partnership and supporting the research in the area of raw material exploration, processing and recovery and recycling.
The Europe 2020 Strategy underlines the need to promote technologies that increase investment in the EU’s natural assets. Extractive industries fall under this category, but its development is hindered by a heavy regulatory framework and competition with other land uses.
The Commission considers that the following practices are particularly important in promoting investments in extractive industries:
(1) defining a National Minerals Policy, to ensure that mineral resources are exploited in an economically viable way, harmonised with other national policies, based on sustainable development principles and including a commitment to provide an appropriate legal and information framework;
(2) setting up a land use planning policy for minerals that comprises a digital geological knowledge base, a transparent methodology for identifying mineral resources, long term estimates for regional and local demand and identifying and safeguarding mineral resources (taking into account other land uses); With its high quality products such as hammer crusher and ball mill, Hongxing Machinery has ascended in the front rank of the world in the exporting of mining equipment.
(3) putting in place a process to authorise minerals exploitation and extraction which is clear, understandable, provides certainty and helps to streamline the administrative process (e.g. the introduction of lead times, permit applications in parallel, and one-stop-shop).
While significant progress has been made in implementing the RMI, further improvements are necessary. An integrated approach based on the three pillars is essential, as each contributes to the objective of ensuring a fair and sustainable supply of raw materials to the EU. The European extractive sector will continue to support the Commission’s initiative and is welcoming the Member States’ active involvement in tackling the challenges outlined.
- Author Articles
- More From This AuthorIn recent years, the high-speed rail, highway, housing and other infrastructure are developing rapidly in China, and the sand and stone industry also entered an unprecedented age. The number of the companies...The term 'primary crusher', by definition, might include any type and size of crushing machine. It implies that at least two stages of crushing are involved, but in many cases the machine which performs the...The stone directly falls into the high-speed rotary wheel from the above of the machine, under the driving force of the high-speed centrifugal force; it is impacted with high-speed and crushed with...In the current society with economy rapidly developing, we should always keep a clear head in the meantime of development. In recent years, along with the rapid development of the economy in our country, the...Ball grinder is mainly composed of charging and discharging, cyclone and rotation parts (like redactor, minor rotation gear, motor, electric machine, etc). Hollow axis is made of steel parts with a lining...
- Related Articles
- Related ArticlesFor all conceivable purposes, ranging from the grinding of kiln tyres through replacing kiln tyre stations up to the replacement of entire kiln shell sections, Hongxing is always ready to assist you with a...For all conceivable purposes, ranging from the grinding of kiln tyres through replacing kiln tyre stations up to the replacement of entire kiln shell sections, Hongxing is always ready to assist you with a...For all conceivable purposes, ranging from the grinding of kiln tyres through replacing kiln tyre stations up to the replacement of entire kiln shell sections, Hongxing is always ready to assist you with a...At the start of the wet season Thailand still has got a lot of festivals for people to celebrate. If you are staying at your accommodation Bangkok just ask the front desk and see what festivals are on for your...Since many people fall victim to identity theft every year, insurance companies have offered identity theft insurance services to consumers to minimize the damages of the crime. However, there are some things...
- Latest Articles
- Latest ArticlesOccasions comes quite often, where one has to be at his best, as far as his looks and dress-up is a concern. Most men prefer the classy suits for such occasions, as it is one of the best outfits to carry for...Do you have or think you have bed bugs in your home? If so, you are probably wondering how to get rid of them. Bed bugs have once again become a serious problem, not only in the US, but around the world. ...The group of company in which prides itself in the best financial solutions (such as insurance coverages, investment and also banking providers) is the ABC financial group. This information will talk about...With the indomitable success of Apple iPad, eBook authors and publishers simply cannot ignore 90% of the market share in the tablet computer industry. Despite being posed with stiff competition from Kindle,...At present, air conditioning systems are used in most houses and offices during hot weather. Even, numerous individuals claim that they aren't able to live without an air conditioner when the weather becomes...