Good News you can fund your IRA’s with gold and silver. The US Government allows purchases of certain types of precious metals to be held in IRA accounts. However there are certain requirements that must be met. Also needed are special IRA account administrators who specialize in precious metals held in IRA’s and understand all the IRS rules on this form of investment.
Precious Metal Investments allowed in an IRA account include:
• Physical metals
• Certificates of precious metals
• Exchange traded funds (ETF’s)
• Closed end funds (CEF’s)
• Private funds
Everything you need to know about:
• What types of physical precious metals are allowed into an IRA?
• Allowed coins for an IRA.
• Gold coins - not allowed in an IRA.
• What is bullion and what is acceptable for an IRA
• IRS storage requirements.
• Self directed IRA account administrators.
• How to place precious metals into an IRA account.
• A note about 401K’s.
What Types of Physical Precious Metals can be held in an IRA?
• Gold bullion
• Gold coins
• Silver bullion
• Silver coins
• Platinum coins
• Palladium coins
Allowed coins for an IRA:
• Gold – US. American Eagles, Australian Kangaroos, Canadian Maple Leafs, Austrian Philharmonic’s.
• Silver – US. American Silver Eagles, Australian Kookaburra, Canadian Silver Maple Leafs, Mexican Silver Libertad Bullion.
• Platinum & Palladium - US. & Canadian minted one ounce Coins.
Gold Coins - Not allowed in an IRA:
These gold coins are not of the minimum acceptable purity that is required to be held in an IRA.
• South African Krugerrands.
• Hungarian Corona.
• British Britannia or British Sovereign.
• Rare or Collectable Numismatic coins.
What is bullion - What is acceptable:
Bullion is considered to be bars and rounds manufactured by a NYMEX or COMEX approved refiner/assayer or national government mint that meets or exceeds these minimum fineness requirements.
• Gold - fineness of 99.5% or better.
• Silver - fineness of 99.99% or better.
• Platinum - fineness of 99.95% or better.
• Palladium - fineness of 99.95% or better.
IRS Storage Requirements:
When you fund an IRA with precious metals the IRS requires you to store your investment in a vault considered “safe for your investment” Vault segregated storage is where your investment is separated from everyone else’s inside a secure vault. This type of storage is really the only approved storage you can have when your precious metals are held in an IRA. An IRA administrator will open a segregated storage account on behalf of your IRA. When your investments have been purchased the dealer will deliver your investment to the vault you have chosen. You are NOT allowed to take physical possession of that investment.
Self Directed IRA - Account Administrators:
Let me first let you know that funding an IRA account with precious metals cannot be done by most IRA administrators and you need to have a “Self Directed” IRA account set up for this type of investment. Therefore, you will need to find an IRA Administrator who specializes in Self Directed IRA’s and precious metal investments because not all IRA administrators will handle precious metals. You will find several reputable IRA Self Directed IRA Administrator companies online.
How to place precious metals into an IRA account:
OK now you’re new or existing IRA account(s) will be set up, with an administrator that specializes in Self Direction and precious metals you have your accounts funded and have your specific investment purchased on your behalf by your administrator or you will make the purchase yourself and have your investment directed into your IRA account depending on your IRA administrator.
Once your investment is under the care of your administrator you will have segregated Vault storage of your precious metals which are held in your IRA account name through the Administrator of your Self Directed IRA. Sometimes you have a choice of where you want your investment held other times it is up to the contracted Vault your administrator uses. IRS rules do not allow you to personally hold the precious metals held in your IRA account. It must be overseen by a third party, an IRA plan administrator.
A Note about 401K’s
401K’s themselves cannot be funded with precious metals under the IRS rules. However they can easily be converted into a “Self Directed” traditional IRA, which in turn can hold precious metals.
Tom Genot -
About The Author:
For informational, news, articles and videos for investing in gold and silver and where the best places are to buy it. You will also find information for preparing and protecting you, your family and your assets from the pending economic crises and destruction of the US dollar. Author Tom Genot, provides information and resources helpful to everyone. Insure you’re prepared beforehand. Check us out at www.coinbullion.net
- Author Articles
- More From This AuthorInflation is a serious problem that will affect any society overtime. Serious monetary stresses are created that will affect the most basic of needs such as food for your family to eat, fuel for your car or...Lately, many people in the world have been closely watching and reading the news reports concerning the current global economic situation. The European and American debt situation is now going out of control....For decades now, the world has been partying wildly, while drinking from the proverbial punch bowl of good times. Ever since the gold window was closed by President Nixon in 1971 governments have increasingly...At the end of WWI Weimar Germany was suffering from rising inflation, which was starting to get out of control. During a two year period from 1921 through 1923 Inflation was running away. During the time,...America has had a history of fiat currencies dating back as far as the American Revolution. Even before America’s colonists won their independence from the British. It was in 1775 that the Continental...
- Related Articles
- Related ArticlesUnique in order to save taxes, achieve greater business freedom, protect assets, minimize reporting, or maintain privacy, having an offshore company (a company that conducts business beyond the country of...Having a damaged credit means that you are limited in your abilities to apply for loans, get the best credit offers and make key financial moves. In addition to this, you can also have difficulties in looking...We still don rsquot know the reasons why more and more people love silver bangle bracelets and they are generally never go out of style. china beads wholesale Their timeless beauty interests lots of women...It might sound corny, but a man's male organ is as individual as his fingerprint. The tool he was born with, the care he's given to the equipment, and the ways in which he's used his body in the past can all...Dealing with a car accident or vehicle repair can be very costly. A lot of times, when people get into car accidents, they don’t think about how much they can save. Typically, the primary concern of the...
- Latest Articles
- Latest ArticlesUnique in order to save taxes, achieve greater business freedom, protect assets, minimize reporting, or maintain privacy, having an offshore company (a company that conducts business beyond the country of...Do you want to remodel your kitchen? But not getting appropriate idea that where from you should start so we are here to tell you about kitchen modeling, some people start by looking at appliances and other...Every upcoming development methodology places considerable importance on testing, which includes Test-Driven Development, Feature-Driven Development, Behavior Driven Development, etc. Although test automation...No engagement is complete without the engagement ring. Traditionally, this engagement ring is usually a diamond ring presented by the groom to the bride. Since the engagement ring is usually such an important...Peng Joon's guide is the one other some of those ones you might be always hearing about, his guide might not have the polished quality of the Zygor, but this guy can begin to play and positively puts his money...